Thursday, February 4, 2010

Coaching Staff

What are the principles espoused by your coaching staff? As my coach used to say in high school, adapted from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, "who are those guys?"

We both believe that basketball is a great game, integrated into a framework where family and school come first. Having the correct priorities counts. 

Coach Labella and I have almost a hundred years of combined basketball experience (we're old). Coach played point guard for Somerville during the era when Somerville was a perennial basketball hotbed; he has coached travel basketball for "many" years, including coaching his daughter who chose to play volleyball and was an All-League volleyball player.  He believes in fundamentals, transition basketball, and tight man-to-man defense. He works for the Commonwealth's judicial system.

I believe in 'teaching basketball' and came from the Wakefield High School system, playing shooting guard on a Division I North champion and playing college baseball. I also strongly believe in the Psychology of success, that a winning attitude is a precursor to success on and off the court.

I helped coach my daughters, who became successful EMASS basketball and volleyball players, each participating on five Division 2 North champions during their court careers. I believe in multiple defenses, and the 'technical' aspects of learning offensive and defensive basketball, in other words, the application of individual skill development. I work in health care.

We believe in Morgan Wootten's basketball principles:
  • Play hard
  • Play smart
  • Play together
  • Have fun
When you do all these, putting together "winning effort", the results take care of themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment